Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas in the eyes of a child and missed loved ones

With just two days till Christmas morning, a question rings in my head.  Are we as grown ups, still seeing Christmas through the eyes of a child?  Are we still awed by the beauty of the lights, and the beauty of the reality that peace on earth is no longer a distant dream but is within our reach through Jesus Christ.  I watch my children and their eyes sparkle at the lights, and they sparkle at the wonder of Santa Clause and the gifts, and I wonder have I lost the ability to imagine.  That ability that takes us beyond the confines of this reality to the reality of the heavens, to where those who have gone on before us now stand and bow before the very one whose birth we celebrate.  All of my grandparents are now with Jesus this year, and yet we have that same opportunity here and now, to be in the presence of the Messiah at Christmas.  A time when as we look at the lights and sounds of Christmas, and we enjoy the gifts and treats, these are all things for us to enjoy.  Things the Lord has allowed us the opportunity to play with in a sense, since we are His children.  May I be like my children, and continue this season to have a sense of wonder and awe at Christmas, even through the hustle and bustle of the season.  Oh and to those whom I love especially my grandfather who has been in heaven for nearly 13 years, I still love you more today than I ever did, and I cannot wait until the day we meet again in Heaven and I can show you my family and your great grandchildren who I know you would have loved a hundred times more...until then may we both enjoy Christmas in its own way one here on earth and the other in heaven around the throne of the Messiah!   May all who read this celebrate Christmas with a sense of wonder and awe like never before, because as John wrote in John 1, "The Word become flesh, and dwelt (tabernacled) among us!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment